IMG_0027IMG_0096IMG_0093IMG_0085IMG_0088IMG_0081 IMG_0070IMG_0080IMG_0058IMG_0059IMG_0029
Roses et Clematite, a set by Daria Pew on Flickr.
"TO EACH BIRD ITS' OWN NEST IS BEAUTIFUL"

Thursday, January 27, 2011

CHATEAU DE LES FEMMES ~ CHENONCEAU

I was mesmerized the first time I saw a photo of Chenonceau.  It was at Barnes and Noble and the photo was on a calendar of the Chateau of the Loire Valley.  I was amazed that places like this existed and up to that point in my life I knew nothing about them!  A couple of years or so after that, I was lucky enough to go and visit!

The Romantic Chenonceau built on the River Cher

It's also known as the Chateau de les Femmes for the strong feminine impression made by the many women inhabitants/owners.

Catherine Briconnet, Diane de Poitiers, Catherine de Medici, Louise de Lorraine, Madame Dupin, Madame Pelouze
Chenonceau was mentioned originally  in writings of the 11th century.  Diane de Poitiers (DDP) was given the chateau by Henry II.   Catherine de Medici (wife of Henry II) coveted Chenonceau and removed Diane after Henry's death.  More information can be found on http://www.chenonceau.com/ and Wikipedia. 

 J'Adore the door!
Bedroom of the Queen ~~ J'Adore the Bed!

Chapel of Chenonceau

The private chapel was saved during the French Revolution by Madame Dupin who camouflaged its religious purpose by turning it into a wood storage area.  In this photo, there are two beautiful bouquets of lavender sweet peas. 

Amazing hydrangeas!  All of the flowers are grown in the gardens on the property and the welcoming bouquets in every room are changed twice a week. 

Poem from Henry to Diane
Once more a prince (oh, my only princess!)
My love for  you will never cease
Resisting time and death
My faith has no need of a fortress,
A deep moat or fortified tower,
For you are my lady, queen and mistress
For whom my love will be eternal...
...Alas my Lord, how much I rue
The time I lost in my youth;
How often have I wished
To have Diane as my only love;
But I feared that such a goddess
Would not deign to stoop so low
To take notice of one, who
When denied her love,
Had no pleasure, joy, or happiness
Until the day she granted him leave
To Obey her commands. 

And just a little side story.  I found these wonderful earrings by Claire Pearse on Etsy.  They were entitled Chenonceau.

The following is Claire's description:  "Ah, the fairytale Chateaux, the beautiful French Renaissance ladies dressed for the opulent masquerade ball...So incredibly romantic, dramatic and desirable.  These "Chenonceau" earrings are filled with an enchantingly beautiful collection of exquisite gems ~ sumptious and intense violet, golden champagne, peach and soft shades of lavender and lilac.  These magical gems sway upon tumbling tendrils of Imperial Topaz and Pink Amethyst, etc., etc.


Sweet Dreams!

7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post and blog you have. I'm your newest follower.
    Hugs N Herbal Blessings, Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful statement of a woman's femininity and romance. I'm very impressed with all that you have done. Thank you for the education on The Romantic Chenonceau built on the River Cher. It's truly beautiful and hopefully a place I will get to visit. Are those pictures of your gardens? I tried to look at your paintings but it too me to another blog. Are they water colors? They're charming. I am taking my second session with Jon Redmond (oils) and have a painting workshop this weekend with David Shevlino. I'm studying with painters whose style I would like to emulate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI DARLING NEW FRIEND IS A PLEASURE TO VISIT YOUR LOVELY BLOG SO SO ROMANTIC ,YOUR POST IS JUST PURE ROMANCE ,I ALSO LOVE CHANEL #19 ,I HAVE READ SO MUCH ABOUT THE MASQUERADE BALL, IN FRANCE...XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Daria,
    Hello. I'm back to let you know what a beautiful site you have here and a romantic post.
    Wondered if you saw Downton Abby on PBS Masterpiece Theater?
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/downtonabbey/index.html If not, I bet you would like it. This season is over, but you can link here and watch all four segments.
    Wonder why my comment didn't show up last night.
    Hope you get this one!!!

    Constance

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you will have a nice week Daria! Look forward to seeing the photograph of your Godmother~
    Constance

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Daria, I just discovered your blog through MY shabby streamside studio and im so glad i did. Im your newest follower. I will delight myself in your blog with steaming hot cuppa, Im sure i will enjoy it all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonjour, Daria,
    Thanks for sending me the link to your blog. I have signed in as a follower. Everything is gorgeous eye candy:) I have had the joy of visiting Chenoceaux with my 3 daughters -- it is quite an engineering feat straddling the river. Would love to go back!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...